Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Dad Just Dropped It

Thank you Caroline Davidson. We are all just sitting innocently at the dinner table and somehow my dad decides he needs to get up and drop it. Michael Mozley:master of the unexpected and not normal. And i love it. it was funny.

Anyways, its officially been over a month since ive written. I am terrible. seriously, im so sorry annie. although the threat of you coming to Ghana was a great incentive to not write for a little longer. I want you in ghana!

So this past weekend, I went on an HFH(Habitat for Humanity) trip with four of my wonderful friends from Lincoln. We went by bus to a small village about an hour from accra. It was so nice cause its been way too long since ive gotten to hang out in a village. I was getting way spoiled and my twi is too rusty. So anyways, we got to the village around nine and were welcomed by the pastor of the village. Then we got right to work. Me and my friends Sophie, Sabine and Abbi moved and laid bricks for an outhouse. Thank you First Pres team, carrying bricks with yall more than prepared me. These bricks were mud and let me tell you, there is a huge weight difference. The brick-carrying was hard but fun, then we got to try brick-laying, which all of us agreed was our favorite. We worked on that till lunch at twelve. After lunch we went to the other work site and plastered for awhile.

THEN it started pouring down rain. If you havent experienced a West African rainstorm i would say a visit to ghana is necessary. They are wonderful. So we all stood out in the rain and got completely soaked. It was awesome. Then, after about 30 minutes the chaperones told us to go back to our room. But the girls and I decided to explore the village instead. Little rebels we are. We were walking through the village, that had turned into a river. And we passed these little boys cooking something over a fire. They called us over so we went to visit. And they were cooking a little duiker, which is like a tiny antelope. They took great pleasure in showing us its head. sick. but it was fun talking to them and they showed us the the groundnut soup they were making and i got to use some of my twi. So fun. We visited with them for awhile and then kept walking. Now, on our way home from the work site, we had seen these guys trying to push a big trotro out of the mud. And it wasnt going well. And they were still there while we were walking around. So they called us over to marry them and help push. We had to refuse the marriage offer(gotta keep our options open), but we agreed to help them push. And we pushed the trotro out the first time we tried! we're good, im just saying:). So that gave us our bragging rights for the trip.

More seriously though, i loved being in that village. The Lord really reminded me of why im in ghana. I feel like that had gotten a little lost in accra. Accra is a relatively easy place to live and there arent many chances to just hang out with kids and speak twi. It was so good. A hard trip, definitely, but overall, so good. And it was so much fun to watch my friends from Lincoln enjoy it. For one of them, it was her first time ever in a village and she just moved here from the States. They were all so good, we had a blast.

Ok, so there you go, that was my weekend. Before i go, i want to introduce one of the superlatives that tatum, amy and i chose for the First Pres team. Ill try and give one every time i blog. hah
MILES: Best dancer.
he's my hero.

7 comments:

Ryan Kennedy said...

good news, eby gave me 3000 cedis when he got back, so I'll be able to help you pay for a toothpick.

anna mo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie-Claire said...

Miles danced at youth group on sunday night, it changes my life every time I see it.

Thank you, Michael Mozley, for dropping it like its hot. Thank you.

Ryan Kennedy said...

Marie, if by changes your life you mean mortifies you beyond repair, that might be accurate...

AnnieBlogs said...

I'm not surprised you can push a trotro- you're ridiculously strong.

AnnieBlogs said...

PS- Please look at the comment I just put on your dad's blog. :)

anna mo said...

your comment on my dad's blog was brilliant. i laughed real hard.