Saturday, November 17, 2007

I dont have a title for this post. There are so many things colliding in my head right now so the title-line-thingamagigger looks dauntingly small. I cant deal with that right now. But the problem with having a lot going on in my head is that i absolutely have to get some of it out. So this is what yall get: brain vomit. gross. im really sorry i just wrote that. but i dont want to delete it.

I absolutely love to travel. I think i unconsciously have known this but it really became true this past week. I love reading about places and people but there is something so beautiful about seeing, hearing and feeling those places. You can read all about the culture and beauty of a place, but until you feel it, you cant truly recognise it and experience it. For those of you who travel, even if its just to the next town in your state, you know what i mean. Its the feeling you get, the smell that hits you, or the color of the sky, as you open your car door or step off the plane.

I just got back from an MUN trip to Amman, Jordan by way of Cairo, Egypt. Hence this particular brain vomit. The first thing i thought when i stepped off the plane in Cairo was, "cold". Which in my world is very relative. and then it was, "blue sky". The sky was incredibly beautiful when we landed. The reaction was very much the same in Amman, minus the blue sky. it was dark. But here's the thing. I love those first impressions. But what stays with me is the expression and personality of the people who make that country what it is. And let me just say, middle eastern or Arab hospitality is absolutely unrivaled. They are the most accomodating, kind and enthusiastic strangers i have ever met. For example, when we got to the airport in Cairo, we had steeled ourselves for an extremely boring 8 hour layover full of homework and uncomfortable airport chairs. What we got was a fully paid for tour of the city complete with the pyramids, sphinx, guide, shopping, and an incredible lunch. Who does that?? Middle eastern hospitality apparently. Amazing. I will not even attempt to describe it because, quite honestly, words often cheapen things as amazing as this. Ill try with pictures later.

I also love coming home. Ive decided home is defined by those same feelings, colors and smells that make travel so distinct. On the way back we discussed in detail the humidity that drapes itself around you as you step off the plane in Ghana. None of us was looking forward to it. But then I actually stepped off the plane and that humidity, combined with the smell and feel of charcoal cooking fires and diesel fuel let me know i was home. And this is the cool thing. That doesnt mean i will only feel at home with those first impressions. Home may one day be the feel of dry desert heat combined with the unforgettable sound of wind blowing through open space. Or a sharp layer of cold and an unbelievably blue sky. The point is that you recognize what home feels like the moment you step off the plane, wherever home may be at that moment. And that is beautiful to me. Its one of the things that makes travel so satisfying.

I hope home soon feels like middle eastern warmth and kindness.

2 comments:

AtlantaMama said...

Hey Anna, I just found your page! I understand Brain Vomit too... = )

Micah and Shireen said...

Anna, I love reading your posts...keep them coming!!! Hope all is well. Love you.